What a horrific reminder of how we need to clean up our oceans and our act double-quick –
A baby sea turtle that washed ashore in Boca Raton, Florida last week had 104 pieces of plastic in it stomach. The plastic products ranged from wrappers to balloons to bottle labels to twist ties used to cinch trash bags, as the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.
The Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton shared a photograph on Facebook of the turtle next to all the pieces of plastic that it had ingested. “It was weak and emaciated. I could just tell it wasn’t doing well,” said Emily Mirowski, a sea turtle rehabilitation assistant at the center, who examined the turtle before it died, as CNN reported.
“As she cut into it, it was just like, whoa. Every time she cut through there was more plastic coming out of its stomach,” said Whitney Crowder, the Nature Center’s sea turtle rehabilitation coordinator, as the Guardian reported.
While the image of the turtle next to its plastic is troubling and surprising to the many thousands of people who have shared the photograph on Facebook, it is anything but surprising to Crowder and her colleagues.
Source: Dead Baby Turtle Found With 104 Pieces of Plastic in Stomach – EcoWatch
Personally, we think the natural look goes best with nails! –
Like all things that are easy and convenient, one tends to ignore the downsides. Gel nails are the manicure equivalent of ready meals: quick, convenient, tasty-looking, but not exactly good for you.
It’s not just the fact that they dry under UV light — at best ageing, at worst cancer-causing — it’s also that they contain an array of potentially harmful ingredients.
There have been questions about the toxicity of gel nails ever since they became ubiquitous a few years ago. The UV lamps which are used to dry the nails can, say some experts, cause as much damage as sunbeds — in fact there have been several documented diagnoses of skin cancer on the hands of frequent users.
Added to that is the potential for infection as a result of keeping product on the nail for extended periods of time and the fact that the removal process contributes to a thinning of the nail and, if done badly, can also damage the nail bed.
But perhaps the aspect that worries Bastien the most is the potential for absorption of toxic chemicals through the nail itself, which is porous, and the surrounding cuticles.
The British Association of Dermatologists recently warned that gel polish is a leading cause of methacrylate allergy (methacrylates are a type of plastic polymer used to form the gel), which can cause irritation, itching and swelling on any part of the body.
Meanwhile, in 2015 a study found triphenyl phosphate, a powerful hormone-disrupting compound found in nail polishes (it helps the colour adhere) was higher in women who had regular manicures.
There is no empirical evidence to say this substance is toxic in humans, but the same chemical caused mice testes to shrink in tests. And formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate are standard ingredients in most polishes, gel or otherwise.
Source: SARAH VINE: Why it could be handy to take off your nail polish before bed | Daily Mail Online
Wow, the pervasiveness of the chemicals in cigarettes means that they have a far more profound effect than we realise –
A new study out of Yale University says thirdhand smoke — the tobacco contaminants that adhere to walls, bedding, carpet and other surfaces until a room smells like an ashtray — can actually cling to a smoker’s body and clothes as well.
Despite new regulations, FDA still fails to protect youth from e-cigarette epidemic, American Lung Association says.
Even more disturbing: The study found those chemical exposure levels could be the equivalent of between one and 10 cigarettes by the end of the movie.
“People are substantial carriers of thirdhand smoke contaminants to other environments,” said study author Drew Gentner, an associate professor of chemical and environmental engineering at Yale.
The study, published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances, may be the first to show that people can transmit nicotine and other potentially toxic chemicals via their clothing after smoking, he said.
Source: Thirdhand smoke from clothes can deposit hazardous chemicals, study says – CNN
Yikes! Why chemical exposure is such a big issue for our little ones –
Young children from low-income homes whose mothers reported frequent use of toxic chemicals such as household cleaners were more likely to show delays in language development by age 2, a new study found.
In addition, the children scored lower on a test of cognitive development. These developmental delays were evident even when the researchers took into account factors such as the education and income of mothers, which are also linked to their children’s language and cognitive skills.
The findings provide additional evidence of the need for pediatricians and other health care providers to counsel parents of young children to restrict their use of toxic household chemicals, said Hui Jiang, lead author of the study and senior research associate at The Ohio State University.
Source: Household chemical use linked to child language delays
We are all for fur-free (COMPLETELY fur free) fashion! Why it’s so important to know what we are replacing our products with –
Fashion giant ASOS has banned suppliers from using animal-derived materials including mohair, silk and fur. Next month will see the first ever Vegan Fashion Week in Los Angeles — and even the Duchess of Sussex, has spoken of her penchant for vegan ‘leather’ trousers.
All well and good in theory, but how ‘guilt free’ are the vegan materials being used in place of traditional, animal-sourced ones?Take fake fur, for example. Last month, the head of a parliamentary inquiry into the fashion industry called for it to be relabelled ‘plastic fur’ to make consumers aware of what they are buying.‘
A lot of big retailers and brands have removed animal fur from their products but simply replaced it with plastics,’ said Mary Creagh, chairwoman of the Commons environmental audit committee.
Made from fossil fuels, not only will fake fur never biodegrade, but it is made of polyester, a plastic-based fabric also commonly used to make fleeces.
Washing the material loosens plastic microfibres, which end up in the world’s oceans.
Source: We reveal the guilty secret about vegan fashion | Daily Mail Online
A helpful list! –
When you’re feeling down, it can be tempting to turn to food to lift your spirits. However, the sugary, high calorie treats that many people resort to have negative consequences of their own.
Thus, you may wonder whether any healthy foods can improve your mood.Recently, research on the relationship between nutrition and mental health has been emerging. Yet, it’s important to note that mood can be influenced by many factors, such as stress, environment, poor sleep, genetics, mood disorders, and nutritional deficiencies.
Therefore, it’s difficult to accurately determine whether food can raise your spirits.
Nonetheless, certain foods have been shown to improve overall brain health and certain types of mood disorders.Here are 9 healthy foods that may boost your mood.
1. Fatty Fish
Omega-3 fatty acids are a group of essential fats that you must obtain through your diet because your body can’t produce them on its own.Fatty fish like salmon and albacore tuna are rich in two types of omega-3s — docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) — that are linked to lower levels of depression.
Omega-3s contribute to the fluidity of your brain’s cell membrane and appear to play key roles in brain development and cell signaling.While research is mixed, one review of clinical trials showed that in some studies, consuming omega-3’s in the form of fish oil lower depression scores.
Source: 9 Healthy Foods That Lift Your Mood – EcoWatch